Wednesday, February 28

Offensive Security and the OSCP

Take 10 minutes and check out the offensive security site. In case you do not know, these are are same people that brought you Auditor, Whoppix, Whax, and now Backtrack[2].

If you haven't used Backtrack, check it out. If you want to do more with it, consider their training, labs, and certification.

For a syllabus outline and more information, click here.
You can download a demo training session here. Warning: this starts a video with sound.

I really like the idea of this training because:

1. The tool is free.
2. People actually use this tool for real security work.
3. There are video examples that you can watch as many times as you like.
4. There are labs and exercises which support the lectures.
5. There is an applied certification (OSCP).
6. For the certification "exam" you must apply what you have learned to attack a real environment (in a somewhat controlled environment --- you vpn in).
7. The cost? $400 USD. In a day where a good IT security book is $50, this is a steal.
8. Their support so far has been excellent.

In short, I am down for this training. I have one other guy that is going to jump in on this as well. If we get 5 total (so 3 more), we get 10% off. Let me know if you are interested.

Cheers.

5 comments:

CG said...

I see you are about to test for the cert. got a wrap up for the course?

Stephen R. Moore said...

Yes sir. I will be posting an overview as soon as I complete my "studying" and sit for the exam.

I have been working on some other projects and unfortunately this has been pushed to the side.

Do you have any specific questions?

CG said...

nothing specific, i am taking it now, I guess my only question is if anyone checks on you to make sure you are progressing thru the lab exercises ok or if you are on your own.

looking forward to the write up.

Mubix said...

So did you get your OSCP? Where is the the write up ;-)

Jhon said...

What is the difference between the offensive security and information security, often I confused in both. Actually I am planning to do OSCP Certification.